Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The New Electric Vehicle

THE NEW ELECTRIC VEHICLE

We all know what the news is - so let's hear something good a change.

((((Pray that you learn and remember what you are about to read and can use this information to make your personal situation better))))

For years we in our Northwest Solar Group worked with Alternate Energy as a hobby. We are builders and enjoy tinkering.

We have personally built, and helped install:

1) Solar Panels for homes both on and off the grid
2) Water heaters both using Glass Tubes and the old copper tubed ones.
3) Assisted in retrofitting 3 cars to be electric - a 2006 Honda Acura and an old VW Rabbit.
4) Helped install a hot water system to heat a home.
5) we looked at, and inspected the wiring, of a wind mill that produced power.

Not only was this allot of fun but I learned allot about connecting plumbing and electrical wiring.

I have about 500 watts of solar on my house and it is plugged first into a battery bank and the excess power is sold back to the grid.

For every watt I have I make 1 Kilowatt Hour each year. This means that each year I make 500 Kilowatt Hours and the state pays me $.18 per Kilowatt Hour - so I am being paid 18 cents plus the 7 cents I do not have to pay - a total of .$25 per Kilowatt hour.

Thus the 500 watts pays me as if I actually had 2,000 watts of solar panels.

I use 26,000 Kilowatt hours a year. So to offset my power bill completely i would need to add another 6,500 watts of solar panels - or about $10,000 worth of solar stuff.

The additional $10,000 pus the initial $7,500 = $17,500 investment and would offset a power bill of around $2,000 a year - which is around a 11.4% return every year --- of a 9 year payoff for my system.

Recently my wife and I went to the Puyallup Mother Earth News Fair.  and assisted in our solar booth - but there was plenty of tike to see the rest of the fair. The caliber of people that attended was very good and many of these attendees were very serious about installing solar on their homes.

Way back in the corner were some electric cars. The one that interested me the most was a Utility Pick Up. This little gem is built out of non-rusting material and sports Lithium Ion Batteries.

The current range of this Utility Truck is only about 40 miles (40 in the Dead of Winter) but additional battery packs my be added to increase the range to around 300 miles.

About 90% of my driving is to the Home Depot,  the Grocery Stores and to shops like Macys.

The truck has a maximum legal speed of 35 MPH in Washington State but most folks modify them tot go around 40 MPH. If modified actual speeds can exceed 60MPH - but this is not recommended.

The advantage here is if the power goes out not only do I have Wood Stove Heat I also can drive around town no matter how long the power is out.

The other thing I like about this truck is that it is large and solid - something desired in case of an accident.

Maintenance costs on these Electric Vehicles is small - no oil changes, no spark plugs, no gas - and great winter heaters and batteries that are set to last about 20 years and can be changes one battery pack at a time.

The Base Cost is around $30,000 and can run upwards of $40,000 with all the bells and whistles - but remember --- no gas.

Assuming nothing major breaks, not including new tires and breaks:

1) Initial Cost of my S-10 New: $28,000
My Yearly Pick Up Truck Cost:
Gas  for my truck for 10,000 miles: 400 gallons, $1,600
Four Oil Changes plus Fuel Filter, Air Cleaner, Misc: $400 Easily
Total: $2,000
Over 10 years: $20,000

Total = $48,000

2) Initial Cost of the Electric Vehicle: $30,000
Cost on an Electric Vehicle:
Electric Cost for 10,000 miles: $200
Oil Changes, Misc: $0
Total: $200
Over 10 years: $2,000

Total = $32,000, or around $42,000 with all the bells and whistles.

If you live off the grid or in a major city you can see how the cost savings add up quickly - especially since this is no Compact Car and since the electric car has much better pick-up at an intersection that any gas powered car.

I have looked at allot of Electric Vehicles - form the Tesla to a home made Honda Acura that can go 70 Miles Per Hour  for about 200 miles we built in an old garage using hand tools that had  Lithium Ion Batteries (1950 Technology).  

One last little fact: In the outlying area like Montana and Alaska these little puppies can be modified to provide your home with power when your lines go down ---- and thus you have an extended battery pack to run your lights and freezers and then you can charge the entire system with a small generator in the day time or drive into town and go to work and charge your vehicle at work  and then drive home.

When I get the funds I will purchase one and if the power goes out I will drive to Fort Lewis to go shopping (7 miles away) and charge my vehicle on post, drive home, and run my freezers to make Ice for my neighbors.

It is not about being a survivalist and hiding in the woods - it is about always being prepared for the unexpected like our grandfathers were, ready to help a neighbor who is not prepared. The Electric Utility Vehicle is just part of the entire picture.

You need to think about Food (Meds, power for your refrigerator), Water , Power, Ammunition, Heat and Communications.

So if you get a chance - stop reading the news for a minute and look at something positive ---

The E-ride Industries

Here are some pictures:






 e-ride Refuse Hauler with can tipper video






With the ability to haul people and get work done, the EXV4 is what your job site is missing. Click here for more information.



The Website is as follows:

http://www.e-ride.com/e-ride-IndustriesEXV4-inventory.htm?id=315183&used=1&vin=
----------
The News You Are Not Supposed to Have

Dr William B. Mount



No comments:

Post a Comment